Somalia – Mogadishu- 3 days
An exceptional tour to one of the places least popular with tourists in the world. Despite their negative opinion, a tour to countries located within the hot Horn of Africa are possible and, when appropriate procedures are adhered to – also safe. What can be seen for two days in Mogadishu will remain in memory for a long time – the city is now being rebuilt and its inhabitants have hope for a better future.
It will be a visit in an extraordinary city which is the capital of Somalia. In the past, it used to be called the “Pear of the Indian Ocean” and was famous for its broad beaches, excellent cuisine and interesting architecture. Over the last 30 years, the city declined into ruins but for several years the situation has systematically improved and travelling to Somalia is possible – with the appropriate safety precautions. The city that we will see during our expedition may prove different from the images generally presented to us by the media. We will be able to form our own opinions.
Arrival in Mogadishu. After arrival, visa formalities, transfer to the hotel, a short rest. Meeting with our guide at the hotel. Organisational meeting to discuss the safety matters. Drive through the city, a stop at the Lido beach that is a remainder that the city used to be an Italian holiday resort, famous for its most beautiful and widest beaches at the Indian Ocean. If possible, a short cruise around the bay. Visiting the remains of colonial buildings in the Old Town. Drive through Mogadishu. Lunch, return to the hotel.
After breakfast, a visit at the market, in the fish harbour, at the bay and at the lighthouse. We will also see the The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and a place related to the city’s history. Moreover, we will go to a souvenir shop. The itinerary may be changed for safety reasons. Night rest at the hotel.
B. L. D.
After breakfast, transfer to the airport and outbound flight from Mogadishu.
- the length of the tour : 3 days in Somalia
- start of the trip: Town of Mogadishu;
- end of the trip: Town of Mogadishu;
- the highlights of this expedition: We will visit one of the most important places in the city of Mogadishu, once called the “Pearl of the Indian Ocean” due to its location by the ocean and unique architecture We will visit the fish market, Lido Beach, We will see how quickly the city rebuilds after the destruction of the civil war. A great attraction will also be the opportunity to try the unique Somali cuisine which is a combination of African influences, Middle East, Europe and India.
No special fitness is required – the travellers should be able to visit the city on foot. No long hikes or activities that require strenuous physical effort are envisaged. Accommodation will be provided in a hotel whose standard does not differ from similar facilities in the Middle East or Europe – equivalent to 3/4 stars. Additional, the hotel has an efficient team of security guards and any protections necessary to ensure that your stay in Mogadishu will leave only good memories. During the tour, we will travel in passenger cars. We will be also accompanied by professional security guards. The itinerary was designed to enable best possible viewing of the places away from mass tourism routes, while meeting basic safety standards and ensuring comfort to the travellers. Bear in mind that the visited region of Africa is mostly inhabited by Sunni Muslims, which means the need to respect cultural differences and to adhere to the appropriate dress code.
Depending on the political situation, the length of the tour and the order of visited places may change. In a situation of a serious threat to travellers’ safety, the tour may be cancelled. We will keep you updated as to whether the expedition is possible.
- Your passport must be valid for at least 6 months after the planned end of the tour.
- We will obtain the tourist visa upon arrival in Mogadishu. The cost of the visa is in the tour price, you must only send to the office address a scan of your passport and a scan of your colour photograph.
- You should take with you for the tour a photocopy of your passport (the photo page) and an additional ID document.
- Before departure, we recommend a consultation with a family physician and a tropical medicine specialist.
- You must take the yellow vaccination booklet with you for the tour.
- Malaria prophylaxis is recommended but an infection is unlikely because of the climate, the trip dates and the itinerary of the planned tour.
- Vaccination against tetanus, diphtheria, viral hepatitis A and B and typhus is recommended.
- There is a risk of tuberculosis.
- We recommend visiting https://travelhealthpro.org.uk/countries.
- During our expedition, we will drink only bottled water. You should avoid ice in your beverages and eating raw or undercooked foods.
- At the visited places, only private healthcare exists (a visit cost is approximately USD 100).
- Because of difficult travelling and accommodation conditions and particularities of the country, good general health and physical fitness are necessary.
- Please take with you a first aid kit and a sufficient supply of your regular (prescription) medicines, if any. Some useful contents of the first aid kit:
The visited place is still politically unstable but the situation has been gradually and systematically improving. If a serious threat appears, the tour may be cancelled or shortened to a version that enables its safe conduct.
Despite the difficult situation, expeditions to Somalia and Mogadishu are possible and conducted with the adequate precautions.
Owing to the good relations we have with local contractors, we keep following the news to be aware of any potential threats and safety risks. We also recommend you to read the latest news on the Foreign & Commonwealth Office website: https://travelhealthpro.org.uk/countries.
During the tour, please take seriously the instructions of our contractors, guides and tour leader.
It is very important to respect local customs and abide by local laws and regulations. You will receive the necessary information on an on-going-basis from your local guides and the tour leader.
It is strictly prohibited to take photos and make video recordings at military and police installations and at airports. You are also not allowed to take photos where people in military/police uniforms are present!!!
Photographing people is possible only when they expressly agree to it. Taking pictures when the subjects have not allowed it often ends up with escalating aggressive behaviours.
The legal tender in Somalia is the Somali shilling. However, this currency is practically worthless, which is why all transactions are made in US dollars. Please note that dollars should be printed after 2006. For current foreign exchange rates see xe.com or install xe.com on your phone.
Using payment cards and ATMs is impossible.
The official languages in Federal Republic of Somalia, are Somali and Arabic. The commonly known official languages are Arabic and English. For self-guided tours, you must speak English or hire a local guide with a command of English.
Federal Republic of Somalia are multi-ethnic countries with a high predominance of Sunni Muslims. Because of cultural considerations and for safety reasons, it is advisable to learn about the recommended dress code. Women must wear headscarves at all public places. Clothes that reveal too much flesh are frowned upon – both in men and women. Men are not allowed to wear shorts and T-shirts.
During official encounters, women do not give their hand to a man, and men do not give their hand to a woman. Discussions about political subjects should be avoided.
It is very important to respect local customs and abide by local laws. You will receive the relevant information from your local guide or the tour leader.
The tour dates are proposed in periods of the best possible weather conditions at the sites included in the itinerary. The best time for expeditions to Somalia and Mogadishu is the period between November and the end of February. Temperatures exceed +30°C during the day and +25°C at night. Occasional rainfalls are possible. High density of dust particles is a major issue, and also sandstorms may appear. For detailed information about the weather, see https://www.meteoblue.com/en.
Mobile network coverage is available in most towns and villages. Purchase of a local SIM-card is possible but complicated. Before the trip, please enquire with your mobile network operator whether they have a contract signed with operators in Somalia and what the prices of call and SMS roaming are. To avoid a nasty surprise, we recommend disabling mobile data usage.
- Power sockets of type C, E and F. Voltage 220 V, frequency 50 Hz.
- Wi-Fi is available at most hotels and restaurants.
- Additionally, we recommend taking a capacious power bank.
For climatic and cultural reasons, loose garments will be most appropriate: long trousers, long skirts, long-sleeved shirts, which can be easily washed and will quickly dry. The most comfortable footwear for the tour will be lightweight boots. Palladium brand boots are recommended. Wearing open sandals is possible. Hiking boots are not necessary. The following are worth taking:
- sachet for documents and money
- wet wipes for body cleaning and antibacterial gels
- polar fleece jacket or warmer blouse which may prove useful at evening and night times
- head cover and sunglasses – mandatory, the sun is no joke!
- comfortable summer clothes, useful during practically the whole trip
- light T-shirts/shirts
- useful odds and ends: torch, Swiss Army knife, sewing kit (usually is not needed but is not heavy and does not take much place), chargers, mug (for special occasions); inflatable neck pillow, useful on the plane and during car rides; small wallet for the local currency; books to pass the time on flights and car rides
Price: £ 1590 p/p
During the expedition, we will travel by passenger cars adapted to the conditions existing in Mogadishu, in accordance with the the itinerary and depending on the current situation affecting the safety of our travellers. The speed and transfer times depend on the road surface conditions, terrain characteristics and number and length of stops.
Somalia visa cost
We are not able to guarantee a uniform accommodation standard at each of the planned sites during the stay in Somalia. Our priorities are your comfort, safety and appropriate location. We always place emphasis on the support of local community when selecting the sites for our accommodation. In general, rooms will be assigned on the assumption of two people sharing a twin room (rooms with individual bathrooms). The surcharges for single rooms are quoted in the “Price” section.
Two overnight stays in a hotel approximately corresponding to the 3-star standard are planned during the tour. Additionally, the hotel employs professional security guards.
Meals are included in the tour price, as specified in the itinerary. B – breakfast, L – lunch, D – dinner. Breakfasts will be provided at the hotel. We will go for lunches and dinners to local restaurants. The cuisine of Somalia is very varied, similarly as the culture and history of this part of Africa.
For information about the local costs of living see https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/.
Local guide throughout the tour
Professional armed security guard services during the stay in Mogadishu
Entrance fees and permit charges.
Trip preparation, visa mediation, the invitation necessary to obtain a visa
Costs of the main flight to and from Mogadishu
Costs of flight tickets are not covered by the tour price. BTP Adventure does not directly arrange and buy tickets for international flights. However, we may suggest the best connections and airlines. For this purpose, contact us by e-mail or call us.
Insurance is not covered by the tour price. Having valid insurance is a condition for taking part in the trip. We recommend taking out insurance that will be appropriate for the planned itinerary and for your individual state of health and needs. Please send us the proof of your insurance contract.
You can purchase insurance on your own on the website of Axa or any other insurance company: https://www.axa.co.uk/travel-insurance.
BTP Adventure may help you obtain adequate insurance cover. If you want our help, please contact us.
The price does not includes the cost of tips and porters’ fees.
Surcharge for a single room: 150 £
supplementary payment for the additional accommodation In the case of arrival or departure on a different date,
Meals other than those listed in the final itinerary.
Personal expenses and souvenirs.
Because of the particularities of the country and its political instability, the itinerary may change.
This trip may have the form of a self-guided tour at any selected period. The itinerary can be modified for the purpose of the specific trip. The price will depend on the number of travellers, the length of the trip and the individual itinerary prepared for those interested
The tour may be combined with trips to Djibouti and Somaliland. Sudan and Erytrea
An optional trip to Baydhabo or Puntland, for 4 days and 3 nights, may be prepared at a request.
We will keep updating the detailed information on the safety and final itinerary of the tour. Before you decide to submit the booking form, please learn about the current political and sanitary situation in Somalia and Mogadishu.
The planned expedition is an exclusive proposal prepared on the basis of our experience and knowledge of the local peculiarities and major sightseeing attractions of Mogadishu.
We are committed to ensure the best possible and safe and, as far as feasible, comfortable travelling through these little-frequented and extremely interesting places with a fascinating history.
1590 £ Per Person
The tour may be combined with trips to Djibouti and Somaliland. Sudan and Eritrea.
An optional trip to Baydhabo or Puntland, for 4 days and 3 nights, may be prepared at a request.